Saturday, March 18, 2017

Kit kats and fountain pens

Germany has peanut butter Kit Kats!


and let me just say that they are amazing and that there is no reason not to sell them in the United States. They also have caramel Kit Kats that have crunchy caramel on one side and gooey caramel on the other. They are slightly less amazing, but there is still no reason not to sell them in the US. I have also made it my goal to try every kind of kinder chocolate that there is.

Also on the note of food, I have been eating a lot of Swabian food (as I am in the Swabian region, so naturally) and I am starting to get pretty sick of it. Since the Swabians come from a frugal background, their food is very simple in that they eat a lot of starches and only buy things when they are in season (exceptions apply). So for breakfast we will often have bread, and an assortment of things to put on the bread. And for lunch we will often have a pasta with some sort of sauce and a salad (which alternates between tomato salad and regular). Last, for dinner, during the week, we will often have bread, with a different assortment of things to put on it than for breakfast. Now I'm not saying that it's like this for every meal, every week, every day, but it's pretty close. And I'm also not saying that I hate it, but it's starting to get pretty boring. And Nat, being Nat, I have tried to spice things up for myself by trying  (but not limiting myself to) honey and salami, apple slices and meat salad, and the not-so-adventurous-but-still-enough-to-gross-out-Dagmar creations such as Speisequark (greek yoghurt) and peanut butter, Speisequark and apples, and finally (the one I was most surprised by) apples and peanut butter. I honestly have no idea how someone could own apples and peanut butter and never think to put them together, but I guess it's possible. Anyhow, I love to go grocery shopping with Dagmar every Monday (we have so much fun) and this time, I'm thinking of getting ingredients to make a few different kinds of salads for this week (any recommendations? comment below!). As well as me taking many new flavors out of this house, I'm hoping to bring a few new ones in as well.

 Now to subject of fountain pens. Fountain pens, a not so common commodity in the US, have survived the nineteenth century over here in Europe, and are still very much a necessity to this day among children and adults. And I, being the professional tourist and culture absorber that I am, decided it necessary to purchase one for myself. They pen that I bought, I must say, is pretty snazzy looking and can be seen in the picture above. It is clear, came with 2 blue refill cartridges and is erasible (with a special tintin killer). Yes, it cost 20€ and yes, I probably won't be able to buy refill cartridges in the US and yes, I'll probably lose it in the next week, but who cares? I have an awesome pen now.

Today, we were going to go hiking to a castle, but the rain had other ideas and left us trapped indoors. I think we're going to binge watch the Alien Saga so that when the fifth one comes out in a couple months, Joern can see it with me. Because, heaven forbid, he watch the fifth one with out seeing Sigourney Weaver kill off the last of the aliens (or so we think) in the classics. Anyhow, all is well here and I think (yes, I think) that I start school on Monday.

Today is 18.3.17

Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment