Sunday, June 11, 2017

Drama and Real Pizza

10.6.17
     When we first arrived at our apartment four days ago here in Rome, we were devastated to find that there was no dishwasher. The apartment seemed to have everything (namely air conditioning) that we could have wanted, but it seemed as though we would be doing the dishes by hand for the next five days. Now that those five days are almost up, we have had a chance to see how the "we're all gonna take turns" system worked out. And let me just say, it didn't. It seems that Lars and Joern are both two unstable chemicals, that, when you mix together, explode in a loud, abnoxious and (usually messy) way. It's not that they don't get along, it's that they do get along and aren't quiet about it. Hence, Joerns parents have given up on the "taking turns" dish system and have switched to method that leaves Joern and Lars in separate rooms, doing the dishes themselves. I would call it genius of Joern and Lars, but I'm not quite sure that they're even aware of the great system that they have going.

     Dishes aside, Joern's dad said something sarcastic today. It was really funny because I've only ever seen him as this really serious guy that gets annoyed when Joern and I have arguments just for fun. We were talking about marrying Mexicans for citizenship and how I may or may not do it one day. I also learned that it is extremely illegal in Germany and results in deportation and detaining of the German that attempted the stunt. It was then that Joern asked, "Do they fly back in economy class?" and Joerns dad countered with, "No, they fly back first class." I guess stupid questions will always get stupid answers.

     These past two days have been lots of walking, church-seeing and ice cream eating. Since the first two days was seeing the big stuff, the last two days of our five-day stay have been walks through the city. It's been really funny because Lars and Joern never stop asking when we will go back to the apartment. They're like magnets I guess that constantly feel pulled into the abyss of doing nothing. Anyways, it's been a long four days and we've still got one more to go.

12.6.17
     It's a few days later and since the last time I wrote, we've packed up from Rome and headed up north to Bassano del Grappa which is a little north west from Venice (which we will see tomorrow). After driving for six hours, we finally came to our gorgeous house that we will be staying in for the next two days. I couldn't shut up about how cool it is because it feels like something straight out of a movie because of how the rooms are all elevated over a common area with no walls but still a roof. Anyways, after settling in, we headed into the city to get some food because we don't have a kitchen.

     This was our first time eating out in Italy on this vacation and my first time trying real Italian food. I got a Calzone Ricotta e Spinaci and, of course the black woman inside me couldn't help but moan. Sure any restaurant can have a wood oven and a cooled table to make pizza on, but ain't nobody got nothing on the secrets these Italians have. I guess that now I can say that I have tried the pizza of the homeland and that nothing else is truly as good. Tomorrow, we will take the train into Venice as the city is 1) sinking and 2) parking is extremely expensive​ due to it's popularity.

I already said the date

Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment