Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Goodbye China, Hello 'Home Country'

The sky is blue in Seoul! I'm not sure that that sentence would have ever had any meaning to me had I not almost suffocated from pollution in Shanghai. I'm not sure if the sky is always grey or if the air is always respritorally oprossive in Shanghai, but I don't think I want to stay long enough to find out. Look! even my hair is bluer than the sky!



Besides the downsides of being such a big city, Shanghai turned out to be very hospitable and we were able to find a lovely place to have Korean for dinner. It felt a lot like the time when I was in Berlin and me, Ryan and Grace decided to get Mexican for lunch. Because why go with the flow? We also experienced our first major language block as all Google products are blocked in China and we did not have the time to download the proper alternative translators. We ending up resorting to communication by pointing (luckily the menu had pictures) and my mom's obnoxiously loud why-can't-you-understand-me speaking.





After having our forearms singed by flaming oil (the use of oil is not common, says my mother), we headed back to our hotel on foot and called it a night at about midnight. This morning, we woke up at five, headed to the airport, and flew out of the smog-choked city.

I guess now is a good time to explain the title of this post. It started in February when I had to go somewhere else to get my haircut and I had to make a last-minute appointment. Girlfriend who was cutting my hair asked me about my summer and I explained to her about the trip that my family was taking to the Far East. I also explained to her that my mom was adopted from Korea as well as my sisters. After dealing with the often-asked-by-white-people "North or South Korea?" question, I then explained (this is important) that my brother and I are both biological to our parents and that ALL six of us are VERY American. Obviously girlfriend didn't get it and wished me happy trails going "back" to my "home country" after I had paid for my haircut. Of course I had mentioned that I had 1) never been to Korea and 2) that the United States is my home country, but what more can you expect from white people. Would I ever tell someone going to Germany "have fun going back to your home country"? No! Did anyone ever wish ME a good time going back "home" when I went to Germany? No! Nevertheless, me and my brother now have another inside joke and we enjoyed flying "back" to our "home country" today.

Though still polluted, the sky in Seoul is still blue and the air is not as oppressive. In fact, the train ride to our guesthouse was quite scenic and we got to see a lot of nature. Right in the middle of a 25 million people city! After maybe a half hour of down time we headed out to explore the Hongdae district that we're staying in. It turns out that we're staying in one of the trendiest districts in the city and that there is a cafe where you can pet raccoons and a cafe where you can pet dogs, both within walking distance. The Werth Family will definitely be visiting. Other than that, we found a place to get Korean BBQ for dinner again and it turns out that Korean food is better in Korea. What a surprise.

After dinner we checked out a bunch of stores and then came back to the guesthouse where half of us have already passed out.

Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment